Friday, December 21, 2007

Sophistication is overrated

So, I'm not a very sentimental type. I could honestly not put up a Christmas tree and be happy, but, I do enjoy making things look nice. I've loved making our tree elegant and sophisticated with a basic monochromatic look. All my ornaments are beige, gold, or clear. I like it that way. It "goes" with the rest of the house, ya know?? I've even been tempted to buy wrapping paper to match the tree decor... You know my type, a little, ummmm persnickety??? ( I think the word today is "anal", but I'm trying to go easy on myself here!)

Ok, well, several weeks ago my girls wanted to help decorate the tree. I was so proud of myself that I LET them. But, you get the idea, the tree was SERIOUSLY bottom heavy. All the ornaments about 3 feet up. I was even prouder of myself that I LEFT it that way (didn't rearrange after they went to bed! HUGE!) Well, today, they decided it wasn't quite festive enough, so they brought down their "dress up" box and embellished the tree with plastic necklaces, bracelets, and rings. I even saw a Polly Pocket hangin' out on the limb with the herolding angel! Since when did she ascend to such heavenly rank?
Well, now I'm really patting myself on the back. For some reason, this year it doesn't bother me.... Perhaps I'm older, perhaps just don't have the energy, perhaps thinking about Ha Mee half way around the world without her Mommy, perhaps after reading my previous post about Christmas in North Korea, things just seem like THINGS this year. And you know what.... I smile to myself as I walk by this tree! Monochromatic sophistication didn't do that for me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Chelle....I really enjoyed catching up on all your posts. Happy late Anniversary. I like the article that you posted. I think it is good to remember those who have to hide this time of year and what a celebration they are in for when they either gain the freedom to worship freely, as we pray, or when they get to Heaven and do some SERIOUS praying!! And, of course, I am struggling to really like your Christmas tree post. But, you are such a good mom. It took me three years before I let the ornaments stay put!!! Uggghhh....guilt!!!!! Blessings to you....Merry Christmas. Jill

Maddie said...

I love it! I am so impressed-I wasn't able to just let the girls go just yet. Maybe one year. :)