Saturday, March 29, 2008

Transitions...

We have been home 2 and a half weeks and I can honestly say we have been wrapped in layers and layers of grace while transitioning to a family of five. Kate fits in to our family perfectly, of course, and she has transitioned to different time zones, a crib, a car seat, new foods and formula's, new languages and new faces better than I ever dreamed! She adores the girls, and just plays and explores contentedly all day! She has definitely bonded with me, but I can leave the room without causing her distress, and she just smiles sweetly when I return! Wow! Thank you so much, Lord! And, thank you for your prayers....
Each of us has been face to face with major life changes in these past weeks, and I think outwardly, Claire has struggled the most. My sweet, sensitive, mild-mannered Claire has moments where she just seems to "go wild". Here's a photo of her climbing up the frig. Honestly, I've caught her doing it a couple of times....
She definitely has a nurturing spirit and the gift of servanthood though, and responds so well if given a specific task to "help Mommy". I'm praying for creativity and wisdom on how to continue to reassure her during her continued adjustment phase!
On a funny note, our social worker called us yesterday. It was Saturday afternoon, and even though we have been waiting for her to contact us to set up some visits to complete our process, I totally was not thinking she would call "after hours". Well, Claire was having some Daddy tickle time (which includes LOTS of happy but very loud screaming). I heard the phone, looked at the caller ID and thought it must be a telemarketer. Even after our SW introduced herself, it still didn't register with me for a few moments who exactly it was! Then it hit me! And the screaming is CONTINUING in the background. I tried to "hide" in our pantry with the phone, but eventually had to come out to consult my calendar. I asked her to hang on a second while I got to it, and in the meantime, hit the "mute" button and rushed to the living room. It was one of those moments you REALLY hope the mute button actually works!!! It's a wonder when I got back to her she didn't say, "Ummmm, do you think I need to make a visit today??!!"

8 comments:

courtney said...

too funny! I am praying that God will give you wisdom and direction in meeting the needs of all of your girls. And that, if any needs a bit of extra attention on any given day, He will gently guide you to special time with that daughter. So glad Kate is doing well- she looks happy in your home, like she's always been there! :)
CourtneyS

Maddie said...

That is hilarious! I am so glad Kate is adjusting well to your family. God is good! We will continue to pray for you during this transition time.

Cyndi Lou said...

That is priceless! Thank goodness for working 'mute' buttons. It is awesome that Kate is transitioning so well. What a wonderful blessing for all 5 of you.

We will lift of precious Claire, as well as you. We will pray that the bond that you and Claire have will be strengthened every day! Keep the pictures coming! They are great!

Love,

Cyndi

Yvonne and Eric said...

I'm glad Kate is adjusting well. Has her body started adjusting to the time change so that her days/nights are in sync with her new time zone? It sounds like you and Tim are handling Claire's insecurity with love and grace. I'm sure as time goes on, Claire will settle into her new role as big sister.

YvonneW

Tamara Chastain said...

I'm so glad everyone is adjusting well. We will keep you in our prayers. Tamara

Brad and Shana said...

We know what you mean, my kids have actually thrown a fit when I was on the phone with our SW one time. Luckily, she was very down to earth and graciously said that she had 'been there and done that.'

So glad Kate and everyone is doing so well!! Make mental notes, I may need them in a year or so.

Shana

Anonymous said...

Too funny about the SW call!! What a blessing that God has so evidently shown His grace to your family. Your Claire is so precious and it sounds as though God is providing you much patience and understanding with her transition as well. You are such amazing, Godly parents--I admire you very much!

Anonymous said...

Okay. Okay. I taught Claire how to climb the fridge last time I was there. Just like I taught Callie how to mattress surf the stairs a couple of years ago. Blame me, their aunt Kristy is a bad influence. I've got your back, Claire! :)