Thursday, April 10, 2008

Makin' Jook

Kate's foster mother lovingly packed her some food for her journey home. Included was some sort of mushy, gooey rice resembling oatmeal that smelled heavenly. We asked her, via our interpreter how to make it, but a lot was lost in the translation process. When I got home, I threw the question out to an adoption forum that I had been a part of and found out it's called "Jook". I was told it's the baby food of choice for all Korean mothers. It's just sticky rice with lots and lots of water cooked for a long time (sort of like a risotto). The rice falls apart, become glutenous, and is seasoned with meat, broth, bouillon, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, vegetables, dried seaweed, sesame oil, soy sauce or whatever you wish to add. I'm so glad I found out how to make it. Gerber just wasn't doing it for Kate when she arrived, and I honestly don't know what I would do without it! I now make it about once a week ~ it's such a big staple item for her. I know there are lots of other Korean families that peek in here from time to time, so I just wanted to make sure you knew about Jook! Here's a couple of links if your interested in trying it:

http://whatscooking.jdpages.com/kellys_jook_rice_porridge.html



http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=koreancooking&tab=weblogs&uid=365967081

3 comments:

Brad and Shana said...

How wonderful for you to be able to provide her something so familiar and loved.

You are such a wonderful mother.

Shana

Unknown said...

My hubby LOVES Juk!!! He makes it with leftover Thanksgiving turkey every year!!! The rest of us haven't quite acquired the taste for it.

Jess said...

Thanks for the links. We'll be trying this with our little guy when he comes home. . . hopefully soon!